Rapid tooling is also called prototype tooling. The rapid tooling process involves the creation of a mold using aluminum or soft steel, a stocked mold base, and hand-load inserts. Compared to traditional production molds, it has the advantages of short making time and low cost. Therefore, it is often used for small-scale production, so that developers can quickly bring products to the market and occupy the market. It also provides verification for the manufacturing feasibility of product design. At WeLink, Rapid Tooling are usually made of aluminum or steel, which only takes 3-7 days, cost savings of more than 50%.
WeLink Rapid Tooling Solutions
Silicone Tooling – For prototype stage
Low volume 10-50 pieces per mold, can make several molds to get 100-500 pieces, lead time 3-5 days.
Aluminium Tooling – For prototpye, low volume production
Low volume 500-2,000 pieces for ideal. This process offers more scope for modifying tooling later if required. Lead time 3-7 days.
P20 Steel Tooling – For low-medium volume production
Low-medium volume 1,000-10,000 pieces. semi-automatic or automatic injection molding based on quantity, semi-automatic save tooling cost 50%. Lead time 3-7 days.
Benefits of Rapid Prototyping
Rapid tooling has a number of advantages to normal mass production tooling:
- Fast Design: Prototype tooling simplify mold design, inserts replace sliders and lifters, shared moldbase that no need to re-design.
- Quick Making: Prototype tooling simplified mold design make mold making easier. what’s more, aluminun and soft steel is milled much quicker than hard mold steel.
- Competitive pricing: The affordability of the rapid tooling process translates into a positive impact on the bottom line for our customers.
- Proof of concept/testing: Rapid prototyping facilitates practical real-world design testing and troubleshooting. It also enables quick and precise production of new tooling that implements design changes and improvements.
- Speed to market: Prototype tooling to run fast production for small market launch in 1 week with quality equal to normal molded parts.